Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 205: Ecc 3:1 - 7:28

I must say that the book of Ecclesiastes is so far one of the most unusual and interesting books of the Bible. Although the attitude seems to be mostly dark and depressing and negative, it definitely puts a certain perspective on life that we wouldn't otherwise have. It's easy to go through life from the perspective of living right here right now in our own little bubble, but seeing it from this perspective does have a very interesting effect. Although I may not necessarily understand or even agree with every statement that the writer makes, I will agree that too much time is wasted by too many people focusing on the wrong things. I know alot of people who have their entire lives wrapped up in a career. A career is a good thing, but if the whole purpose of trying to advance that career is so that the career itself will continue to go on, that makes absolutely no sense at all. It's like feeding a drug habit - the more cocaine you take, the more you need; the more you need, the more you take. And then one day you wake up and you realize that your whole life was spent feeding a selfish, personal desire that may have helped one or two people along the way, but you never made the difference you were supposed to make because you had no vision. If you're living your life for yourself and nobody else, you have absolutely no idea what life truly is.

- Father, help me to keep the right perspective throughout this walk with You. Help me to turn my focus in the right direction and begin living for the sake of others and not just for myself. I don't want to end this life having done nothing but make my own condition comfortable. I want to listen to You and obey You so I can make the difference that You've created me to make. -

No comments: