Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 66: Deut 24:1 - 27:26

I picked out a section in this passage that I've read many times before, but I think this would be a good time to talk about it. There are lots of places where God tells His people to not gather up every grape or olive or piece of grain. I used to always think that these were what they were supposed to leave as some sort of "tithe," but God shows specific instructions for their tithes. This command is simply God telling His children to share what He has blessed them with. Sadly, that concept is completely opposite from what our society today tells us. Our world is so full of people who do all they can to save and keep every single penny and every piece of worldly treasure that they can, but God wants to remind us of the better more full life we can have if we'll just give to those in need. God didn't say that they have to give everything away, He just wanted them to mindful of those in need because there's no telling when things could turn around and those who were living in abundance before may be on the other end of this commandment.

- Lord, give me a charitable heart. Help me to think beyond myself and my own little needs and wants and help me to look at who I can help today. You've blessed me with so many blessings and there's no reason for me to think that I am supposed to waste them all on myself. Help me to find someone today to bless so that I can spread Your love all around. - 

No comments: