Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 75: Josh 18:1 - 20:9

One thing that really stuck out to me in this passage is how the leaders of Israel "cast lots" to decide how to split the land up. I think this is definitely one of those times when modern translation has done alot to confuse the meaning of what's being said. When you initially read that they "cast lots" you can't help but think that they somehow gambled to determine who got what. The truth is, none of it had anything to do with them making a gamble or leaving it all to chance. They were simply giving it up to God and letting Him decide what needed to happen. The Children of Israel "casting lots" on who got what piece of land is about as much of a gamble as a perfectly healthy person taking a breath and "gambling" on whether or not the air will enter their lungs. When we're relying on God to lead us through, it's never a gamble, in fact, it's the only sure bet we'll ever have.

- Lord, help me to "cast my lot" with you. There are alot of gambles that we take each and every day, but following you should never and will never be one of them. Give me peace and help me to remember that You will always provide the right way out and I can always count on You to show me exactly what needs to be done. -

No comments: