Saturday, November 8, 2008

Day 80: Judg 8:1 - 9: 56

In this passage we learn about what happens when we try to take matters into our own hands. I don't doubt that Abimelech's goal was originally to help the nation of Israel succeed, but instead of asking God what he should do, he took matters into his own hands and ended up being a horrible leader. If I had written the book of Judges, I would have definitely left out this story because it just shows and untrustworthy one of the judges was and it shows how unintelligent the people of Israel were to follow him. It's very easy for us to get so caught up in what's going on around us that we decide to take matters into our own hands, but we must always remember that if God didn't tell us to do it, we run the huge risk of messing it all up with our own ideas and opinions. 

- Father help me to always trust in You regardless of how difficult things get. There will always be the temptation to take matters into my own hands, but help me to learn from Abimelech's example and just let You show me the way. -

No comments: