Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 95: I Sam 30:31 - 2 Sam 2:32

In these verses, we learn about an aspect of David's heart that I pray someday I'll be able to emulate. Even despite all of the horrible things that Saul did to David either out in the open, or in private, When David heard of Saul's death, he mourned. I know I would definitely not have that same reaction if I had been in David's position. I hate to admit it, but if there was someone out there who wanted to end my life, I would be dancing in the streets if I found out that he had died first. David was not only a man anointed by God to lead His people, he was a man after God's own heart, and he was man enough to know that regardless how a man lived, if the anointed of God had ever been on his life, he deserved a proper burial and he deserved to have someone mourn his death. He understood that we serve a merciful God and that each of us deserves respect and dignity, not because of who we are, but because of who God is.

- Lord, help me to remember once again that vengeance belongs to You, not me. In fact, You've commanded us in Your word to love our enemies as ourselves. Help me to love those who oppose me and show respect to those who treat me like dirt not just because it's the smart thing to do, but because it's the right thing to do. -

No comments: