Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 115: 2 Kings 7:1 - 9:37

All throughout these passages we can see the risk of taking matters into our own hands as opposed to listening to God and following His Word. I think there are very important comparisons that we can make between someone being called into the ministry and these kings we've been reading about. I mean the kings of Israel were being anointed as leaders for God's people much like pastors or apostles. There has always been and will always be alot of potential to mess everything up the second we start taking things into our own hands. You know, I've seen plenty of pastors and ministers fall flat on their faces because they got too comfortable with "their" ministry and forgot that God can take away His protection just as fast as He can give it to us. Just like the kings in these passages, we must always remember that God is the one who anointed us and He anointed us to do His work, not our own. As long as we will remember that truth, we can relax knowing that God's protection is on us.

Lord, help me to never see it as "my" ministry. I know how easy it is to get a big head and start thinking that I'm the one who is making this happen, but help me to remember that if I screw this up, it's no problem for You to just find another faithful person to take the torch and run with it. I want to be a faithful man of God who doesn't do his own thing, but who faithfully and obediently does the work that his Father gave him to do. -

No comments: