Saturday, December 6, 2008

Day 111: 1 Kings 18:30 - 20:43

I've always been confused by this story of Elijah and the threats made to him by Queen Jezebel. Unfortunately, every human in the Bible had at least one flaw and it seems to be that Elijah in this passage suffered from a severe case of inconsistency. It's difficult to even understand why a man who just did all of those amazing miracles and who totally defeated the prophets of Baal on their own turf would suddenly freak out and run for his life from a little threat by Jezebel. However, the moral of this story is the simple fact that we could never run far enough to get away from God. Even in his inconsistent, illogical, panicked state, Elijah was still visited by God and God was still willing to not only provide a way for Elijah to be strengthened and refueled, but God took him up to a mountain and revealed His plans to Elijah. It's such a wonderful realization to take that God will always remain faithful even when we don't.

- Lord, help me not to run and hide with my tail between my legs like Elijah did. I want to be consistent in my walk with you and never waver in my faith. But I know that even if I do get scared and try to run, You will always be there ready to pick me back up and reveal Your plans for my life. -

No comments: