Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 40: Lev 20:1 - 22:33

We see here another example of God making sure that His people are set apart from the rest of the world. All of the other nations didn't really care who slept who or how it all happened, but God laid down specific guidelines to make sure that His people were set apart. At times it can be difficult to be set apart from the world and yet still exist in and have influence on a society so full of negativity. The only way it's possible is through God. It's sad to see certain denominations that are so determined to "set themselves apart" that they've ended up counting themselves out and ostracizing themselves from the very society that they're called to reach. On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen plenty of congregations that are so caught up in "relating" to the rest of the world that they've done absolutely everything possible to look, smell, sound, and feel like them in the hopes that maybe they can trick someone into joining their club and maybe make it to Heaven. In my opinion, the fatal error with both of these groups is this: The focus can't be on us, it must always be on Him. If our focus is on Him, then He can show us how to act and He can lead us and guide us in the right direction so that, although we may not look anything like the rest of the world, the rest of the world will not be able to ignore the wonderful blessings that God has put on our lives. If your life looks exactly like mine, I have no reason to assume that you've got any more answers that I do, but if you're living in victory while my life is in chaos, then I can't help but wonder what you've got and how I can get it too. 

Lord, help me to keep my focus on You and trust You to show me how live in this world, but not of it. You are the only One who can show me how to make my life truly attractive to the lost, and I would be a fool to trust any source other than the One who created the entire universe. Thank You for giving me this incredible responsibility and help me to always trust You to lead the way. - 

No comments: