Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 33: Ex 40:16 - Lev 4:11

Very quickly, as we come to the end of the book of Exodus, I want to point out something that I wrote about a few weeks ago when we read about Noah. What I want to point out is one little phrase - "Moses did all that God Commanded. He did it all." There seems to be some sort of common thread between the "Heroes of the Bible." That common thread is simply this: They did all that God commanded. They didn't just do some of it, or make up their own versions of how they thought things should be done. They listened to God and did what He said.

You know, I've never particularly enjoyed reading about the offerings that the Children of Israel presented back in those days because they just seem so bloody and violent, but whenever I read these passages, I can't help but think about how much more bloody and violent the last offering that was ever made for our sin was. These animals being slaughtered is not simply some violent act to make sure people are really sorry for their sins, it's a picture of what was to come. It was a picture of what finally did come - our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ offering himself to be slaughtered on a cross for our sins. Although the burnt offerings themselves may not necessarily be pertinent for today, the message behind them will live on forever.

- Lord, help me to stay strong and focused and able to do "all that You have commanded." It can be so easy sometimes to just decide our own way of doing things, or coming up with our own "interpretation" of what we think You're saying, but I want to be known as a man who did exactly what You commanded no matter what. And please help me to never forget or take for granted the wonderful sacrifice that You offered for my sins. Because of that sacrifice, not only am I free from having to offer up a burnt offering, but I can have peace knowing that I will one day spent eternity with my father in Heaven! - 

No comments: