Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 34: Lev 4:12 - 7:12

I have to be honest, I have a very difficult time reading this part of the Bible, but I think that at this point, what God is teaching me is not necessarily in the content of the verses, but rather in the actual act of reading them. One thing that I have been able to glean from all of this is that God wants His people to have discipline. It's easy to understand why we should all read books of the Bible like the Gospels or the book of Romans, but at least for me right now, the only reason I'm reading through the book of Leviticus is because God is teaching me the exact same thing that He was teaching the Children of Israel in these passages: discipline. Discipline to me means doing something, not necessarily because I feel like it or even because I want to do it, but rather doing it because I know that it's what I'm supposed to do. I don't know if there will be anything that I can apply to my life reading about burnt offerings and building altars, but I know enough to understand that it's not necessarily the words that will change the way I think - it's the spirit behind those words. 

Lord, help me to get all that You want me to get out of reading Your Word. I know this isn't the last time I'll pass through these verses, but I want to learn and develop as much as possible. Thank You for sending Your Word down to us and I pray that You speak to me on a much deeper level than simply words on a page, but that  You speak to my heart so I will hear what You are saying to me. -

No comments: