Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day 232: Jer 29:32 - 32:15

It's so fascinating to read these passages and see how seamlessly God transitions from talking about disciplining His children to loving His children. The worldly way to look at discipline is to believe that discipline is something that a mean parent or master does to someone or something that he doesn't like, but wants to teach it a lesson. Our society has turned something as important and Scriptural as discipline into something that is more synonymous with abuse and pain. The truth is, God is our Father and He loves us so so much. And one of the aspects of loving your children is ensuring that they are properly disciplined when they need it. God wasn't simply punishing His children because He was ticked off and wanted to teach them a lesson, He had to allow them to be disciplined because true love sees beyond the here and now and God knew that if He didn't allow something to happen, His children would never fully understand the importance of abandoning everything they have to follow Him.

- Lord, help me to learn from the lives of others in the Bible and throughout my life so I can develop discipline with You. Help me not to fret or panic when I feel the pressure because I know that You truly love me and as long as I turn my eyes upon You, I will be delivered from anything that comes my way. -

No comments: