Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 179: Psalms 78:44 - 82:8

It's sad to say that in our society, salvation seems more like a convenience than a necessity. Reading the Psalms that Asaph wrote, it would be almost impossible not to feel the passion and intense desire that He has for God to save him and his people. It seems like modern "evangelism" has turned into something completely different. Preachers get up and try to convince people that giving their lives to Jesus will make things easier and more fun. They try to trick them into signing up because of all of the other cool people who are doing it. And yet, there are very few out there willing to express the sense of urgency and necessity that should always be associated with the need for Salvation. We don't need God for the same reasons we need to eat right or own our own houses. We don't need God for the same reasons that we need to get the fastest internet or the best cable package. We need God because without Him, our lives will surely, without a doubt end in torture and misery for all of eternity, and without His saving Grace, that end is our only option. So I urge you to stop "selling" salvation to the lost and go out there and stir up the kind of passion that doesn't just cause people to want salvation, but shows them how badly they need it.

- Lord, give me the same type of intense passion that Asaph had in these verses. Help me not to try to sell salvation as a new fad to a bored generation, but help me to offer salvation as the only solution for a dying generation. I know that without Your saving grace we would all be destined to hell and if I really truly love and care for my generation, I will do everything I can to keep them from that fate. - 

No comments: