Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 361: Rev 1:1 - 6:17

I have to be completely honest and admit that the book of Revelation was the one book that I was most nervous about writing a commentary for. I mean seriously, I've read this book more times than I can remember and I still have such a hard time understanding any of it. But while I was reading the first part of this book, God brought my attention not to all of the doom and gloom and scary stuff but rather He brought my attention to the fact that He was willing to do all of this and reveal everything to a fragile, imperfect human being. Oftentimes we read this book and we take into consideration all of the end times prophecy and doom and gloom but fail to think about the fact that God was willing to get that close to a human and reveal that much to him simply because He wanted to. And the amazing thing is that God wants to have that sort of open communication and relationship with each and every one of us. I don't necessarily think that John was somehow a super special person that was created better than all of the rest just so he could be shown this incredible awe-inspiring spectacle. I think God was simply looking for someone to speak to about this and John was there ready to listen. I encourage you to open up your heart and really find a way to listen to what God has to say because you never know what He may reveal to you.

- Lord, show me how to get my heart in the right condition so that I can hear Your voice like John did. I want to make myself available to You to hear and see everything You want me to hear and see so that I, like John, can bring it to the rest of the world and help reveal Who You really are to them! -

No comments: