Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 354: Heb 7:1 - 10:39

As interesting and deep as the old covenant has always been to me, it seems to add an entirely new dimension when viewed in the light of the new covenant as we read here in this passage. If there's one thing that definitely stuck out to me in this passage, it is the fact that unlike my initial picture of the old covenant and tabernacle being mostly clean and solemn and pristine, the old covenant was incredibly messy and uncomfortable. I'm not sure why I've always only picture the golden lampstands and small little fires and the quiet, still, beautiful golden altar, but we are reminded in this passage that there was alot more to it than that. Not only was a full grown animal slaughtered right there in front of the tabernacle, but it's blood was basically sprinkled on every single thing in that place in addition to all of the people at least once a year. When we think about the blood of Jesus in this sense, it adds and entirely new dimension that I dare say many of us have not thought of. Jesus blood was not simply shed so that it could be poured out on the mercy seat alone, His blood must be applied to every single aspect of our entire lives in order for us to truly live redeemed. We cannot simply rely on Him doing His job and assume that everything has been taken care of. We have to be willing to get messy and allow his cleansing blood to touch every single aspect of our lives. Then, and only then, will we truly be able to live the life of the redeemed.

- Father, I want to apply the blood to every single aspect of my life. Forgive me for leaving certain parts of my life untouched by Your blood and help me to see all of the areas that still need Your blood so that I might live a life completed sanctified for Your will. -

No comments: