Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 356: James 1:1 - 5:20

I think the book of James is an important one to read after Hebrews because he reminds us that although faith is incredibly important, it's absolutely worthless if we don't add any works to it. I can't even count how many times I have told someone that I have complete faith in God and that I believe that He can take care of any problem no matter how big and then I've turned around and ignored what He told me to do because I thought I saw a better way. We can say that we have complete trust in God until we're blue in the face, but until we actually act on what God has told us to do, we have absolutely nothing. God doesn't just want our support or our mental assent that He is God and He loves us, God wants us to put our money where our mouth is, so to speak, and prove our faith and reliance upon Him.

- Lord, help me to add action to the faith that I have in You. Help me not to just sit around saying that I have faith, but give me the strength to stand firm and act on what You have told me not because I have faith in my own ability to hear or even in the act of faith itself, but because I have complete and total faith in You.

No comments: