Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 291: Mark 12:27 - 14:30

It's difficult to read this passage without getting a very strong sense of urgency and that the end is coming very quickly. Of course, "quickly" seems to be an incredibly relative term seeing as how God doesn't even operate according to the same time-tables as we do, but nonetheless, every second that ticks away brings us just a little closer to the Lord's return. Whether His return will be in 10 seconds, 10 days or 10 centuries, we still must live our lives as if we are coming close to the end. God wants us to live our lives in such a way that we are ready for anything that comes our way. If we go throughout life believing that we have plenty of time left and always putting off things until tomorrow, we will never achieve what God has called us to do. We don't serve a god of yesterday or tomorrow. We serve the Great I Am; not the "I Was" or "I Will Be." We serve a God who lives in the present and the only way to live in the present is to live like today is the last today you will ever have.

- Lord, help me to not look back to yesterday and not put things off until tomorrow. For all I know, there may not be a tomorrow which means that it's my responsibility to be faithful to do what You are calling me to today. You are a God of the present and I chose to walk in the present with You. -

No comments: