Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 9 Gen 25:23 - 27:45

Ah yes, the age old story of Jacob and Esau. The first lesson of this passage may be one of the clearest in the Bible - Think it through. Of course, I realize Esau was really hungry at the time of the famous "Birthright for a bowl of beans" transaction, but I can't help but think that Esau probably could've thought of something a little less valuable than his right as the firstborn son to gamble with. Never offer up tomorrow's blessing just so you can feel good today.

I can honestly say I don't actually remember ever reading chapter 26. I know I have before because I've ready the book of Genesis a few times, but I guess I've never really paid attention to chapter 26. It's wonderful to see how God will bless us if we'll just pay attention and listen to Him. Not only did God command Jacob to stay in the land where he ended up becoming a very wealthy and powerful man, but He blessed Jacob so much that the people ended up asking him to leave their country because he was too powerful for them. And then to top it all off, after the people of the land kicked him out, they chased him down and made an alliance with him so that if he needed help, they had his back, and vice versa.

I've always had a difficult time with the story of Jacob stealing Esau's blessing because it seems like such a horribly dishonest thing for one of the heroes of the Bible to do, but I guess it just proves that same principle that is found throughout God's Word - Redemption. God could've just smashed Jacob for fooling his father and his brother like he did, but we serve a God of redemption. I'm glad to know that even when I mess things up and end up making decisions that I will undoubtedly regret, God is still willing to forgive me and raise me back up.

 - Father, thank You for giving us such simple lessons in the Bible. Thank You for reminding us that we should always think it through before make any decisions that could potentially alter our future. And thank you so much for your willingness to forgive us and bless us even when we've fallen and made decisions that should have disqualified us from Your blessings. You truly are a Loving Father! - 

1 comment:

tv said...

Thanks for sharing your perspectives and revelations from the Word. I've enjoyed reading them, and they've been a great source of daily devotion to me. Thanks again for obeying God and sharing with us the things He's talking to you about.