Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day 12 Gen: 32:1 - 34:31

Not many people can say that they physically wrestled with God, but Jacob sure can. This story is such a great of the fact that God honors our perseverance. It's so much easier to just ask God once or something and then get upset when we don't get it, but we can see in this passage that God appreciated the fact that Jacob wasn't willing to just give up and walk away. We need to learn to build up our faith my sticking with it and fighting it out, not letting go until we've gotten our blessing.

It always makes you feel good to read  stories that have a happy ending and the story of Jacob and Esau is one of those stories. Esau had ever right to be upset with Jacob and ready to attack him and everything he had, but instead Esau welcomed Jacob with open arms letting him know that he was completely forgiven of what he had done in the past. Once again, we see a picture of Sweet Redemption!

Chapter 34 can sometimes be a tough one to deal with. It's so easy to read this story and think of how I would feel and think that Israel's sons were completely justified in what they did, but the fact is that Vengeance is the Lord's. how many times have we had something wrong done to us or someone we love and decided to take it upon ourselves to "take care of it"? It's not our job to retaliate, it's our job to give it up to God and let Him take care of it His way.

- Father give me the strength to stick with it and not give up on the call that You've placed on my life. Help me to fight as long as it takes until I've gotten what was promised to me. And please help me to forgive anyone that I still hold a grudge against in my heart. Your word says that if we don't forgive others, that You can't forgive us, and I know that I definitely am in need of forgiveness every once and again. And I pray that You please help me remember that Vengeance is Yours. You are the only holy and just One and You are the only One to be trusted to deal rightly with those who have hurt Your children. - 

No comments: