Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 10: Gen 27:46 - 30:20

In the story of Jacob's ladder, we learn a very important principle about setting up memorials. It's easy sometimes to hear God tell us to do something or give us a blessing and get so wrapped up in what's about to happen that we end up forgetting where it all started. I think it's important though, to always put some sort of book mark in our lives to remind us of the times when God was first commissioning us to go out and do what He said. For example, right now in my life, I'm in the process of being a big part of starting the church that I believe God has called us to start. It would be very easy for me to totally forget about the last 2 years of meeting in people's houses and only look towards my goals and dreams, but I think it's important to never despise the day of small beginnings because they always serve to remind us of how far God can take us and how much farther He will take us.

Jacob is a wonderful example of a man who didn't settle. It's such a crazy thing to imagine that he worked for seven long years to marry Rachel only to end up getting ripped off by Laban and getting stuck with the old sister who had "nice eyes." Jacob could've easily just given up and gotten tired and decided to just go with Leah, but instead he agreed to work another seven years just so he could marry the woman of his dreams. We need to remember that if God has put a call on our lives, the devil will do everything he can to get us to settle for something that may be good, but probably isn't best. Something I heard a few years ago that has always stuck with me is that Good is always the worst enemy of Best. So we should never settle for good if God has promised us the best.

 - Dear God, I want to be faithful to always set up memorials for you. Help me to never take for granted the days when I was wandering in the wilderness searching out the thing that You've called me to do. I know that never again will I be in this place in my life, and I don't want to find myself sometime from now trying to remember how it all started. And please give me the strength to hold on to the things that you've called me to even when the world is offering me the cheap imitations. I know if I will just stick with it and stay the course that I will achieve all You've called me to do. - 

No comments: