Friday, August 22, 2008

Day 7: Gen 20:18 - 23:20

The story of Abraham and Isaac is one of my favorite stories in the whole Bible. And, honestly, it has had one of the biggest impacts on my life. I don't know about you, but I've found myself in situations many times where I was actually more concerned about God's promise than I was about God Himself. Abraham had to have had some incredible faith to be willing to take the greatest blessing that God had given him and completely destroy it simply because God told him to. A very important thing to learn from this passage is that it is so much more important to put what God is saying to us right now above what we think we're supposed to be doing. If you truly believe that God is calling you to do something, then you must be willing to sacrifice it if it's His will. A good example of this is my relationship with my own wife. Before we got married, I knew that she was the one for me, but I found  myself putting our relationship in a higher regard than my relationship with my Lord. In order to truly make the right decision, I had to be willing to throw the relationship on the fire. And that's exactly what I did. In fact, I spent an entire summer on the opposite side of the world knowing that I may never be with her again just so God could put everything into perspective. We always need to remember that the call on our life is never more important than the One who put it there.

 - Lord, help me to remember to keep everything in perspective. The call that You have placed on my life is very important to me, but help me to never put it in a place above You. Show me anything that might be in my life right now that I've put in a higher place than it deserves, and give me the strength and the resolve to be willing to lay it on the altar. - 

No comments: