Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 325: Acts 19:14 - 21:19

It seems to me that the story of the sons of Sceva is a pretty accurate depiction of how many treat God's Word today. It's obvious that these men were not using God's Word in order to build faith or further His kingdom. They used His Word as a tool to get themselves a better place in life. We see this so often with musical artists, "Christian" organizations, and even pastors. Our society has programmed us to me always concerned about our own business and our own personal outcome and how far ahead we can get in life, and if we're not careful, we can allow these tendencies to take over our walk with God. We have to understand that although things might go well for us for a short period of time, when we are using God's Word for nothing more than our own personal benefit, it can and will eventually backfire and leave us just like the sons of Sceva - broken, ashamed, and forever an example of how not to utilize the Word of God.

- Father, help me to never be like the sons of Sceva and try to use Your Word solely for my own personal benefit. You have called me to things much greater than my own personal comfort and You have set goals for me that are much bigger than myself, and I know that The gift You have given me will only be blessed when I keep my eyes on You and live for something much bigger than myself. -

No comments: