Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 336: I Cor 9:1 - 11:34

The first part of this passage is an interesting one dealing with a minister's right to be taken care of. There are so many religious people in the world today who have this disgusting, twisted idea that a preacher should be poor and struggling because that means that they're relying on God. A few months ago, a man told me that he would never go to a church where the preacher drives a nicer car than he does. He said that it would be wrong for a preacher to be comfortable and successful because he should be barely getting by so that everyone around him can be comfortable and successful. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't say anything in response, but I've thought alot about it since then. We can see in this passage that Paul wanted the church to understand that those called to devote their lives to spreading the good news should not just be "taken care of," but should be living a very comfortable and successful life so they can focus more on spreading the Good News. The place where people get hung up the most is when they have an experience with a preacher who is clearly in it for their own personal reasons. Sadly, there are ministers out there who have a passion only for money and success, but we must all understand that they are the exception and not the rule. It's interesting that in the same passage where Paul encourages the church to bless those called to preach, he also cautions those called to preach to accept the blessings, but to not demand them. I believe that if we, as ministers of Christ, set out to make alot of money and be the most "successful" minister out there, we may very well see that level of success, but there may be a great deal of collateral damage in our wake. But if we will set out focussed on bringing God's Word to those in need with no regard to our own success or well-being, that not only will the lost be reached and the hungry fed, but we open ourselves up to truly accept all of the rich blessings that our Father in Heaven has reserved for us.

- Lord, as I move further and deeper into becoming a full-time minister for You, help me to keep my priorities in the right place. Help me to remember that as long as my focus is on You and spreading Your Word, You will see to it that I live a blessed life full of the things that You have promised me. -

No comments: