Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 331: Rom 8:1 - 9:33

Romans 8 is one of those passages that I could read 100 times and hear 100 different sermons about, and I would still feel as though there's more to learn from it. I love this chapter because it goes directly against the attitude that religion has taught for centuries. Religion seems to think that the way to live a Christian life is to start on the outside and eventually it will make its way inside. Growing up in church, I can't remember how many times I heard my father say that you can't clean a fish before you catch it. Of course, what he meant by that is that a true Christian life doesn't stem from our outward lifestyle. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. Paul reminds us in this passage that we are called to live in the spirit and die to the flesh. If we will take our focus off of the flesh and turn our hearts completely to the Father, He will see to it that not only are our hearts in the right place, but that our flesh lines up with His will.

- Lord, help me to stop living in the flesh and begin living a life completely focused on You. It's easy to focus on living a good life and not even think about the One who gave me life. Give me the focus and strength to focus on You and I know that You will make sure everything else in my life lines up with Your Word. -

No comments: